Have you ever read the story of Esther? It’s found in the Old Testament of the Bible, and it’s the wonderful story of a young woman (called Esther – surprise, surprise!) as she discovers who she is, and the purpose for which she was born.
Esther is an exile – she is a Jew living in Persia – and she finds herself head-to-head with an imperial plan to kill all of the Jewish people. In turmoil, Esther (who at this point in time is actually married to the King who doesn’t know she is a Jew) has to decide whether she will stay silent, or risk her life to defend her Jewish people.
At just the right moment her cousin Mordecai comes to her and says the now infamous line:
Who knows, perhaps you were born for such a time as this?” (Esther Ch.4:14)
- Who are you – who is it that God made you to be?
- What is your purpose – for what reason did God make you?
You’ll have to read the story to find out what Esther decides (no spoilers here!) but it is worth it.
Esther’s story is one that speaks volumes to us today – like Esther we find ourselves in a world that is unfamiliar with our faith and our belief in Jesus. And so, like Esther, we too should be looking in that mirror and asking ourselves those same questions – who are you and what is your purpose?
If you’d like to discover your Esther story, we invite you to The Esther Collective Residential where, alongside other women, you will have the opportunity to do just that.
Through a weekend of workshops, retreat and discovery, we will delve into the story of Esther together and discover what God is saying to each of us today.
We would love for you to be an Esther Weekender and be a part of The Esther Collective Residential.
Here are some more details:
- Dates: Thursday 20 July at 5pm – Sunday 23 July 2017 at 12pm (midday)
- Venue: Cliff College, Calver, Derbyshire, in the beautiful Peak District
- Cost: Esther Weekender – £250 including all food, accommodation and materials (Esther Day Pass also available for Saturday day only – £25)
- The weekend is open to women of all ages, both inside and outside of Girls’ Brigade
- Places are limited, so please book here by Friday 2 June 2017.